fot

Re: changing spitfire gear sets

To: "Tom Britt" <zhbmacaw@worldnet.att.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: changing spitfire gear sets
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 14:15:09 -0500
I'm curious, Tom, what track are you racing at that the 4:55 is too low?

I race MiDiv (Heartland Park, Hallett, Mid-America, Gateway, Memphis) and
run a 4:55. The only place it seems to hurt is the Memphis straightaway (the
full end-to-end dragstrip), but then I'm glad to have it for the run down
the backside through the M's, etc.

(I also autocross, so good for that too).

Back when Mid-America Raceway (St. Louis, not Omaha) was in use, my brother
raced my car and used the 4:55 there even though it, too, ran the straight
the full length of the dragstrip and runout, because he gained more between
1 and 10 than he lost between 10 and 1. When we ran at Hutchinson, an
airport circuit, that was the only track the 4:11 paid dividends.

Also, in what way does your intended replacement not match up? Do the bolt
holes not match, or does it not fit in the case, or what?

BTW -- '63 would be a Mk. I, not Mk. III. Mine's a '64 Mk. I. I'm not sure
of the specs, but seems I recall the diff case got bigger in later models,
or maybe that involved using a GT6 rear. Call Ted Schumacher at TS Imports
and pick his brain. 800-543-6648. He's answered similar questions for me in
the past.

--Rocky Entriken