fot

RE:Tube Benders

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:Tube Benders
From: "Aaron Johnson" <fpspitfire37@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 17:42:04 -0700
The tubing bender I used to build my cage can be found at
http://www.tricktools.com  it's the model 3 with the hydraulic attachment.

My first suggestion would be to use 1.5" DOM tubing rather than the
Chro-moly tubing.  For 2 reasons, One it doesn't save you weight 1.5" x .095
wall DOM tubing weighs 1.426 lbs/ft and 1.375" x .095wall  (as required for
moly by the 2003 GCR) Moly tubing weighs 1.299 lbs/ft.

Second, unless the person welding the moly is extremely knowledgable of
welding stainless and all the welds are normalised after welding, you will
have failures and lack of fusion in the welds.  All the joints must be
preheated to around 500 degrees F prior to welding to ensure a proper weld.
It is just safer to use DOM 1020 tubing in my opinion.

And I guess that you could throw in a third reason in that the moly tubing
is about 4x the price of 1020 DOM and after it's painted you can't tell the
difference :)

Remember...measure twice and cut once.  There are also some nice tube
bending computer programs which can save time and hassle!

Aaron Johnson
#38 F-Prod Spit MkIV Oregon Region SCCA
http://www.geocities.com/spitracer9