fot

RE: VINTAGE RACING

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: VINTAGE RACING
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 00:53:21 -0700
Wow, small world
First of all, I'm in Oregon, and there are few places in the country that
have as much vintage racing as we do. There are two major events at PIR
(one held in conjunction with the All British Field Meet) and seven SOVREN
events at Pacific Raceways and Bremerton, not to mention a vintage grid at
all the SCCA races, and both Thunder hill and Willows events are short tow
away. Real short for you. I'll be glad to introduce you around.

Southern Oregon is a little out of the loop perhaps, but Eugene and
Creswell (Creswell?!?) are both thick with enthusiasts and expertise. I
live in Portland. There's lots of vintage racers here, and most of them
drive LBCs of some sort.

I may have been the squid that knocked you off your bike--if you were
riding in the open class. I don't remember hitting anyone, but you never
know. I won the Great Bear GP once and got third once--I think it was in
'77 and '78 on my Yamaha 360MX. I still have it. Fond memories indeed--I
loved that race. I lived in Long Beach at the time and was the service
manager/head wrench for Wheels of Fortune Yamaha in Carson and Dale Brown
Suzuki before that.

You could contact Bob Yarwood in Creswell both for a really pretty set of
Minilite look-alikes (I just bought a set, they're way nicer than the two
sets of Panasports I have) and for advice on your suspension setup. Bob's
a good guy to know, does really good work and has a lot of good parts
sources. He's in the book as Yarwood engineering. You should also know
about British Parts Northwest--they're in Dayton. They've got a nice
website for ordering parts--they remanufacture a lot of good stuff.