fot

ignition timing

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: ignition timing
From: "Richard Taylor" <tarch@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:56:21 -0400
Fellow FOTers,

I'm so good with the foot in mouth disease that I might as well jump in one
more time.

The way I set the ignition timing on my TR-4 is whilst driving to the race and
cruising at say 4000 rpms, I press down on the accelerator and if the engine
pings, I stop and retard the spark. If it doesn't ping I advance it until it
does then back off again until it doesn't do it any more. After buying race
gas at the track, I do it all over again during practice and then I go on to
worry about something else because this seems to always work.

It also appears that the engine will run a little hotter if the spark is
retarded.  This seems counter-intuitive, doesn't it?

So the question is, how do you real guys set your spark par excel lance? And
how do you check it for each cylinder?

Richard Taylor

TR-4

Atlanta