fot

SCCA Regional Race Report

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: SCCA Regional Race Report
From: "Aaron Johnson" <fpspitfire37@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 01:29:04 -0700
photos can be found at http://www.photosport3.m6.net/ORSCCA9_03/A/index.htm

I got to the track around 7:45...I started out as a bad day. I was supposed
to be off work for Thursday and Friday to finish getting ready and but work
decided I didn't need those two days off and I spent the nights getting
ready and days at work...and no time sleeping.

Got to the track around 7:30 to get the car ready for the first session.

1st Practise - I start off fairly easy to get use to the new front sway bar
and the new Cline rear spring. Lateral grip is much improved, even with the
bad tires on. After about 4 or 5 laps, smoke starts filling the cockpit. I
figure this isn't a good thing, check the gauges and everything seems
okay...one more lap and the smoke seems to be getting worse, they flash the
surface condition flag at start finish, and the smoke starts getting worse.
I ease around the course and bring the car into the paddock. Up on the
stands it goes...scouring the engine for oil leaks. A small leak is present
on the fuel pump blanking plate...but nothing serious. I'm a bit confused as
to the smoke until I peak at the gearbox. The entire tailshaft housing is
coated in oil. A quick spray with carb cleaner revealed a nice healthy crack
that extends about half way up the housing. So...I left the stock gearbox at
home, (one of those...oh that shouldn't be a problem, it's 2:00 I don't want
to lift 75lbs into the truck).  Go figure...one stock bit left in the ReK
racing gearbox and it is the failure point :)

Qualifying - no track time as I was in the truck driving an hour and a half
south to my house to get the spare gearbox from the garage. As I'm a block
from my house I remember one important thing, grab the flange for the
driveshaft as the spare gearbox and the race box use different output
flanges. Everything loaded back up and I arrive back at the track about 4:00
saturday evening. By 6:30 I have the new gearbox in and everything buttoned
up except for the driveshaft flange which we take back to my friends house
to press out the U-joint. 7:30...drop u-joint on the ground and spray needle
bearings all over the garage floor...only 24 of the 32 needle bearings a re
found... the others are MIA. So...no parts stores open until 9:00 on sunday
morning...so I figure I'm going to miss the morning warmup. While taking a
shower I remember there is a spare u-joint in the box in the
truck...so...off to dinner then to the track to get the u-joint. By 11:30
everything is ready to go.

Sunday morning we get to the track at half 8 or so and finish putting the
car together. by 9:45 we have it off jack stands and I drive it around the
paddock to make sure it works. bonus 4 gears...no leaks and no smoke.

Sunday 15-Minute morning warm-up session: I go out to try and re-learn the
car as the gear ratios are so different with the stock gear box that I only
use 3rd gear for the majority of the track, 4th for the straight and 2nd for
the chicane. I have a couple moments with lapse of gearbox thought and
choose the wrong gear with no major consequences (chose 3rd WAY to early but
didn't over rev...just upset the car a little) 2 laps later I'm starting to
get it figured out, then I get into the chicane and NO 2nd gear...NO 1st
gear either...2 speed box now. I milk around for the remainder of the
session and try and see if it's driveable with 2 gears...it is, but now it's
definitely a momentum thing.

Race - Start from the back of the field as i have no qualifying time. 3rd
gear start is bad and fouls the plugs with the low RPM...I just try and keep
up with the field as the green flag flies. I slot in behind the SSC Neon and
figure the car will clear up on the back straight and I can move by him. He
waves me by, but the car is misfiring and not running right. I move to go
around, but NO power...he's held me up in the corners that the plugs are
still fouled. 4 laps behind him and I finally decided to make the move on
the outside of 7...he gave in easily and I had clear track ahead. I got down
to a 1:37.5 which was one second off my best time, but with a 2 speed
gearbox and carrying an extra 70bs (heavier battery and stock cast iron
gearbox and bellhousing) I was pleased with the performance.

I managed to get in 16 laps, a finish 1 lap down to the fast guys in the run
group (which was better than last race at 2 laps down, overall ran more
consistent laps in the 1:37 range and open track) I got the hollow victory
as the FP competition was a no show (heard he totalled his car the week
earlier, but no details). I was all set for the victory lap, but I stalled
the car on the way out and couldn't get it started

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING! I now have my novice permit signed off and I'll
sent it in this week and I'm now a Regional competition license holder! So
the Goal for the weekend was met!!! Now I can't wait for next year.

Aaron
Aaron Johnson
Albany, OR
#38 FP Spitfire Oregon Region SCCA