fot

TR4 SLR Inquiry Asked and Answered

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 SLR Inquiry Asked and Answered
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 21:08:25 EDT
Pursuant to the inquiry about a TR4 SLR:

There was one SLR built on a TR4. See comments below by one of the builders,
John Sprinzel. He does not offer where this lone car might be. (Kas, or
anyone, any recollections?)
----------------
Joe, Hope all is well with you.

The best recollections I have are in my "Spritely Years" book, on pages 97-8
and 9, which outlines the SLR Project. We did build one, I think it was the
second car, on a TR4 base, and this was an ex Sid Hurrel Car which our third
partner, Stockbroker Neil Dangerfield owned. I raced it once at Brands Hatch,
and
thoroughly enjoyed my day out. The other three SLR's were on Morgan chassis,
Chris owned and raced one, Gordon Spice had one, but I just cannot recall the
name of the third Morgan owner.

Chris works at Morgans these days, and designed the latest (rather weird
looking) racer. so you can get hold of him at Morgans.

This project was around the time I was team captain at the newly formed
Triumph work's outfit, so I also got to race a Vitesse, in the four hour
International Touring Car Race, and one of the factory Spitfire GT Le Mans cars
in the
Silverstone 6 hour event. Probably some of my last drives on a race track, even
though I rallied on for another 7 or 8 years.

All the best. Aloha  John