fot

help with SCCA rules

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: help with SCCA rules
From: "BOB KRAMER" <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 23:12:31 -0500
I have a general question with regard to SCCA rules. In CVAR, we use the 1972
SCCA GCR for our rules (with some waivers here and there). We are having a
problem with deciding the legality of adjustable ride height shocks on 240Z's
and GT6's, the kind with a threaded collar. I have been shown advertisements
from Datsun suppliers listing these for sale and have been told both that they
were legal and illegal by people that raced Z-cars "in the day". I have no
idea who is right, but right now CVAR is dinging originality points for those
using threaded collar shocks.

The 1972 GCR says the following under Authorized Modifications: "Section 3
-The make and type of  shock absorbers, but not their numbers, or their system
of operation (i.e., lever or telescopic), or their system and points of
operation." It also says under section 9 "Springs or torsion bars of any kind
may be replaced by any others of unrestricted origin, but without changing the
number supplied by the manufacturer and on the condition that they can be
fitted without alterations to the original supports and points of
attachments."

It seems to me that using threaded collar shocks changes the system of
operation and alters the original supports. Also whether these shocks are
period correct is an issue. Can anyone tell us how we can prove this one way
or the other?

Like a lot of vintage groups, CVAR is trying to rein in cars back to the
rules. The cars in question are all set up to run both as IT car and in
vintage. Changing the shocks doesn't work for them. Thanks for any help!

Bob Kramer
rkramer3@austin.rr.com