fot

Re: Bought a Berkeley

To: GRMTim@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bought a Berkeley
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl@gt-classics.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:57:47 -0400
At 06:57 AM 10/23/03 -0400, GRMTim@aol.com wrote:
>While visiting Kip Motors in Dallas a couple of weeks ago I fell in love with
>the very rough but restorable 1958 Berkeley that he ahd out front. After
>you've had about six beers, this thing looks like a miniature 289 Cobra.
>It is
>bike powered and front wheel drive and will just about fit in the trunk of
>my TR3.

They're pretty neat little cars - I came close to buying one about 12 years
ago or so.

>Anybody know anything about these cars, or have a spare bike engine lying
>around. I was thinking of upping the power a bit from the original 2 cyl,
>2 cycle
>Excelsior engine that came with it. I don't think I will race it. I am crazy
>enough to race a TR3, but not a Berkeley.

There's a guy who used to race one with RMVR, but I have no idea if he's still
doing so.  As I recall, he was using a Honda M/C engine.  I can't remember
his name, but might be able to find it if you need it.

Have fun,

R. John Lye

rjl6n@cstone.net