fot

Re: VARA Las Vegas

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VARA Las Vegas
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:53:31 -0700
I had been planning on going, but it isn't going to happen.  Too many broken
vehicles, too little time.  So I'll probably be spending Halloween night at
the shop instead of driving down I-15.  Shucks.

Some may recall I mentioned this event a while back.  It was part of planning
for the upcoming season.  IVR, the group that runs races locally on the old
airfield at Wendover, is somewhat limited.  I've been thinking that joining
another club and attending a race or two per year would be nice, and perhaps
I'd be able to run with a group of cars with similar capabilities, rather than
watching the V8s dissappear into the distance as we come out of Conair Corner
onto the front straight.

The questions for the winter are which group, and which car, and what level
of preperation?  I've been leaning towards a 1500 squaretail Spitfire and
running with VARA, or maybe putting a 1296 in Killer so it is more in line
with roundtail specs, or just doing IVR on occasion and concentrating on
autocrosses with an eye towards Topeka, but in Killer as an FSP car, or
revive Luella, the red racer, as an honest D Prepared Solo car and part
time road racer, or make the TR7 coupe into FSP, or make the 7 a full-on
prod racer for Solo and IVR, or, well, you know, the typical off season
musings about shuffling the automotive wardrobe.  And one of these days
I really should work on the TR6 again, picking up where I left off in 1987.

Going to Las Vegas would have given me a chance to pay closer attention to
VARA prep rules, interior requirements, safety needs and such.  Who knows,
such information could have made the decision easier, though I doubt it.
Also, I heard that VARA has added a class for Formula Fords that aren't quite
vintage but are not currently competitive in SCCA club racing.  My friend
Bob Allred has this Crossle' that could work for VARA, it cold be fun if we
both were to start driving with VARA.

We'll see how the winter progresses.  First off I need to fix the broken
spring on the trailer, get the Honda running again, tend to the heater in
the van, ....

mjb.