fot

Re: Re Running with VARA

To: "Dave Riddle" <dave@microworks.net>, <Editorgary@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Re Running with VARA
From: "Aaron Johnson" <fpspitfire37@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:18:49 -0800
Run groupings is always an issue in SCCA, especially at the regional level.
The run group in Oregon Region is pretty decent, ITE, AS, F-G-H production,
GT4, GT5, Pro7, SPU, SSC, SSB, T1 and T2.  The grouping is good as the Times
range from the high 1:27's with most cars in the 1:35 range (+/- a couple
seconds) and the SSC cars rounding out the field in the 1:40's.

I do get nervous when they talk about grouping F with the GT1 and 2 cars as
they weigh 3K lbs and have top speeds of almost 170 on the straight.  This run
grouping problem is what led to the roll cage changes for SCCA production cars
in the 90's.  We now have to have full width cages, supports and the tubing
sizes grew.  Most vintage racing cars don't have the full cage and only employ
a hoop and diagonal brace, that could be a problem with the big cars.

aaron johnson
#38 FP Spit MkIV Oregon Region SCCA
http://www.geocities.com/spitracer9