fot

spitfire tail shaft housing

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: spitfire tail shaft housing
From: "Aaron Johnson" <fpspitfire37@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 09:02:26 -0800
So I did made some queries this morning and found manufacturers part numbers
for the two different spitfire gearbox output bearings.  What I found were
the following measurements

Early Bearing:
OD 1 7/8" ID 5/8" width 9/16"

Late Bearing
OD 2" ID 3/4" with 9/16"

Based on that I would have to assume that the tailshaft housings are
machined differently between the 3 and 4 syncro versions.  I did confirm on
my broken housing that the oil seal rides in a different bore than the
bearing, which would explain why the housings use the same oil seal.

aaron

Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as $26.95.