fot

Re: Another Tow Vehicle Question

To: "John Herrera" <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another Tow Vehicle Question
From: Bob Buxbaum <snaponbob@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 22:09:59 -0500
At 07:33 PM 11/5/2003, John Herrera wrote:
>Amici:
>
>Since the tow vehicle subject has been brought up, here's another question.
>
>Vehicle: Dale, a 1988 Chevy 4 wheel drive K1500 truck, 305 engine and
>overdrive automatic transmission with 100,000 miles on the odo
>
>Poor Dale must struggle in low gear to pull a TR3 on an open steel tandem
>axle trailer up a grade. I realize that it is normal to slow down some on
>hills, but this seems excessive.
>
>Would a fresh 305 solve this problem or is this engine unsuitable for towing?
>
>I am thinking of a Jasper replacement engine. Jasper will only exchange
>engines like for like.
>
>Any suggestions would be appeciated!
>
>John (J.R.) Herrera

John,

The only Chevy V8 that was lamer than a 305 was the 4.1 or 4.4, or whatever
that awful lump was that was found in some old square Malibus. Yuch. And
the other note about axle ratios was right on the button. It was all about
TESTED mpg, not real world performance. If you are in an emissions state,
you may have a big problem changing things around.

Find out what the core charge is with Jasper. If it's small, than just get
a 5.7 and eat the difference. If the core charge is substantial, find a
worn out engine at some shop whose owner rat holes everything that ever
came off a car. Than buy that real cheap and use that as a core. Than
install a chip in the computer that can be readily reprogrammed back to
stock for emissions testing and enjoy the power.

Or .................. get a good running start!!!

Bob and Mary Buxbaum
Chesapeake, Va.

snaponbob@cox.net