fot

Women racing Triumphs

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Women racing Triumphs
From: Guyots3@wmconnect.com
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:45:23 EST
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003
"Simon Rasmussen" <Simon@telephonestogo.ca>
wrote Women racing Triumphs

Inspired in part by the VIR meeting in 2004 honouring "Women in Racing" I am
researching  an article on "Women racing Triumphs" starting back in the 1960's
with Valerie Pirie who raced and rallied a Spitfire. (She is usually referred
to as "Stirling Moss' secretary", as if that was a more noteworthy
accomplishment.)

I have found a reference to a  BL sponsored challenge race in 1973 between Bob
Tullius and a Stephanie Ruys de Perez, in Spitfires named Mars and Venus, won
by Tullius, who was awarded a trophy inscribed "Male Chauvinist Pig". Does
anyone have further details?

There was also an all-female team competing at Sebring in the mid 60's, and
for a modern example we have Susan Kahler and her Spit.  Perhaps there are
others who could be included?

Regards,
Simon Rasmussen
Sales Manager - Telephones To Go
Email: Simon@TelephonesToGo.ca
Mobile: (416) 565-0031
Tel: (416) 650-0000
Fax: (416) 650-5751

Hi Simon,

I know you are interested in the 1960s, BUT you should not overlook the Lady
drivers of the sidescreen TRs in the 1950s.

Pat Moss, (sister of Stirling), owned a 1954 TR2, not sure if she drove it in
competions?

Mary Walker & Muriel Dodds in Mary's TR2 in the 1954 RAC Rally, (they won the
ladies prize and came 21st overall)

Mary Walker & Muriel Dodds in Mary's TR2 in the 1954 London Rally.

Mary Walker & Muriel Dodds on the 1954 Alpine Rally, had a nasty crash.

Mrs M Baddiley, winner of the ladies sports car section of the 1955 Scottish
Rally in a sidescreen TR.

Anny Bousquet, (a French lady driver), driving a works TR3 in the 1956 Alpine
Rally.

Nancy Mitchell, who drove a TR3 in the last (1957) Mille Miglia, in which she
crashed.

Annie Soisbeault & Lise Renaud, (two more French ladies), driving a TR3A in
the 1958 Lyon-Charbonnieres Rally.

Mrs A Wolley, who drove her TR3A in the 1959 Morecambe Rally.

All details from 'Triumph by Name, Triumph by Nature' by Bill Piggott.

As an aside, I do know that Gina Campbell, of the world land speed record
family, drove a dark red 1973? GT6-3, although probably not competively.

Hope you found it interesting

Best Regards

Leon