fot

Re: More on pistons

To: "kas kastner" <kaskas@cox.net>, "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More on pistons
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 00:00:50 +1300
Strange you should mention .006", many years ago a friend of mine fitted a
set of original Spitfire  Le Mans pistons to a Vitesse 6 engine (it gives a
capacity of 1725cc) with normal clearances - after numerous seizings up he
eventually ended up with an overbore of........007", what a noise when cold.
The reason for the overbore of a 1600 engine - well the man in charge of the
banger racing got fed up with Triumph 2000s winning all the time so
restricted the capacity to 1750 - the 1600 engine bored out to 1725 with
foged pistons just kept on winning.
John Kipping