fot

Balance tubes on carbs

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Balance tubes on carbs
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:06:46 EST
In a message dated 1/31/04 4:24:12 AM, owner-fot-digest@autox.team.net
writes:

> What are the thoughts on blocking the balancing tube on the inlet
> manifold between the carbs,

I run HS6 (1.75) carbs on my MGA mounted on a Derrington intake manifold. The
balance tube is probably at least 1.25 in. inside diameter! When I mentioned
this to Carl Heideman, he said that they dynoed a variety of styles of intake
manifolds with SUs and found that the power increased with the diameter of the
balance tube all the way up to reasonable limits.

So, FWIW, I think you'd be going the wrong direction on that mod. One thing
on mine, that you didn't mention. The pistons have been ground off into a
tapered face. I don't have a clue why that was done (lightens them without
changing
the surface area closing the intake tube, perhaps?) but perhaps someone who
specializes in tuning SUs for racing can help here.

Cheers
Gary Anderson