fot

RE: PURCHASE

To: "'Jim Gambony '" <britbits@tiu.net>,
Subject: RE: PURCHASE
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 20:52:18 -0800
 Believe it or not, we had some town fathers up here in Oregon (well,
southern Oregon, actually) fall for a Nigerian money scheme--they saw it as
an opportunity to recoup their diminshed town resources. They actually did
the full deal and booked a trip to Nigeria. They happened to tell their
travel agent why they were going and he said "You're idiots, you're ging to
get killed or kidnapped". Pretty much cleaned out the treasury. Morons.

there are a few dozen websites dedicated to tracking these scams. A quick
search on google for anything that sounds shaky is always a good idea--most
times you'll find the whole scheme laid out--even down to the person's name
some times.

It's a little hard to believe that people fall for these things--they seem
so rudimentary, but there's a lot of territory on the downside of the bell
curve.