fot

Re: 86 MM Chromium Rings-Help

To: kas kastner <kaskas@cox.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 86 MM Chromium Rings-Help
From: elliottd <elliott@videotron.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:42:00 -0500
I'm restoring a late model TR3A for a friend in Toronto.  About 7 years ago
he spent $4200 for a shop to redo his engine, then after 300 miles on it, he
spun and really clobbered the whole left side - he found himself going
backwards under a semi-trailer.

The car sat on the rear lawn in his garden, winter and summer, under a tarp
for 3 years and then he sent it to me to restore.  It hasn't run in 7 years.
But 3 years ago, the compession was zero on 3 cylinders and 20 psi in the
4th one.  This was dry.  With oil in the spark plug holes the compression
read 155 to 175 psi.

I don't know what the rings were made of.  Maybe they are chrome ??  Someone
mentioned that "Sea Foam" is available and is used in inboard power boats to
get an engine in this condition to get it's compression back.

What should I do ?  Is this "Sea Foam" available ?  Should I try it ?  Where
can I find it ?  Any other suggestions.  ?

Don Elliott, TR3A, Montreal