fot

Cinder Blocks, Racing, Non-TR

To: BillDentin@aol.com, N197TR4@cs.com, johnkipping@inet.net.nz,
Subject: Cinder Blocks, Racing, Non-TR
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:03:37 EST
In a message dated 2/28/04 9:04:04 AM Pacific Standard Time, BillDentin
writes:

<< I can offer that technically speaking 'cinder block' are no longer readily
available. >>

I hauled my cinder blocks home from my parents home in Washington, PA; back
in the late 60's.  Every once in a while, one gets broken.  I better treat the
rest with kid gloves if they are no longer available.

Did anyone watch the Rolex 24 Hour Race on TV?  We happened to be in Florida
at this time, and bought a couple of infield tickets.  Unfortunately, it
rained the entire time, sort of like a SCCA race in the Northeast Division.

We drove around for about a half hour and couldn't find a legal parking spot
anywhere until one of the traffic controllers saw Pittsburgh, PA on the car.
He had spent most of his life in Pittsburgh and was in on the ground floor for
the start up the V. W. Plant.  We were then directed into the Green Reserve
Area, and found ourselves facing the fence at the end of the banked curve
leading into the back straight, and could see most of back straight.  If we
walked
back from the car about 10 yards, we could see the entire banked curve.

We made it up to the infield grand stands for the start of the race.  Shortly
into the race, I wondered why this one car was passing several other cars
leading into the rain covered sharp infield curve.  Maybe his throttle stuck.
He
then spins off the track backwards and trashes his car into the tire wall.
They had a terrible time dislodging the car from the wall, and finally used a
fork lift to dump it over the wall.

It was interesting walking through the garage area, hearing a bunch of
foreign languages, and seeing people feverishly trying to fix something on
their
cars to get back into the race.  We left for some dinner and came back just in
time to hear a massive explosion and to see someone's car looking like a comet
all the way down the back straight.  I saw this car later in the garage area
with the entire tail end burned off of it.

The next morning, my wife dragged me to some female fag movie.  The worse
part about it was that the theater was right beside the Daytona Race Track.  I
thought about telling her to drop me off inside the track and for her to go to
the movie by herself, but you have to keep the other half happy.  Between naps,
the only thing that I got from the movie was that some highway hooker was
killing her clients and got the death penalty.  Later, my wife said that we
should have gone back inside the track and watched the end of the race.