fot

Re: Pennsylvania Highway Patrol

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>, "don elliott"
Subject: Re: Pennsylvania Highway Patrol
From: "kas kastner" <kaskas@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:56:53 -0800
  Before we ge tot he end of this threead I might as well add my bit.

  On the way fro I.A. to Salt Lake City for the race in 1958, I was driving
my TR-3 in the middle of the night across Nevada renown for it's "no speed
limit" laws.  I was travelin'. Along the way about fifty miles from Las
Vegas there was a little construction, I slowed fourth over to fourth took
the right hander and just as I reached the apex I saw this sign that said,
"25 mph".  Well that was just too late. But no problem just a little drift
to the right and a little more the left and on we go. Back of car filled
with extra tires and tools in the trunk and standing on the gas. Miles and
miles later is a section that was exactly one mile long and an inspection
station for the state for travelers. The speed limit was 40 mph.  I slowed
according to the law and just drifted along when this cop in a Mercury sedan
came blasting up and red lighted me. I stopped and then he came back to
talk. He asked my why did I slow down 'cause I was really  gone from him?" I
told him I didn't want to break their very simple laws in this zone  and
appreciated the "no speed limit". He then went into the unsafe routine at
the construction site that I never saw etc etc etc.  About this time a silly
guy came the other way going the other way about 65 in the 40 zone and the
cop said, "I want him more than you" and proceeded to spin OUT the Merc then
finally get it straightened out and went after the poor man. I then just
went on my merry way to the race.

  Providence sometimes looks out for the simple racer.