fot

Re: TR6 motor

To: charly@mitchelplumbing.com
Subject: Re: TR6 motor
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:04:46 -0500
Charley Mitchell asked:

>Hey all, I'm finishing putting my 6 motor back together and I just got to
>the
>damper on it and realized I don't run a fan off the crankshaft and I
>probably
>don't need the extension on the front of it.
>I cool the car with an electric fan mainly because I don't want the
>constant
>pressure on the thrust washers.  It seems the fan extension just adds
>weight
>to the crankshaft and may magnify any oscillation of the crank.

The simple thing to do is cut the nose off the fan extension, and shorten
the bolt.
I was amazed at the number of answers that said "use a shorter bolt" because
the crank bolt is out of the ordinary with a weird thread spread.  I had a
machinist
cut and rethread the bolt for me.

An even simpler route would be to buy the short-nose kit  that someone gave
link to.

Shane Ingate, catching up on digest messages, in Maryland