fot

An ounce of prevention

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: An ounce of prevention
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 00:06:52 -0700
Perhaps this should be titled "Waiter, checklist please."

After some disassembly this evening, the initial theory is that a few fluid
ounces of Redline Shock Proof gear oil may have been all that was required.
Given the amount of time that Killer's tail end was up in the air while I
whacked on the exhaust, it seems I could have taken a few moments to check
the fluid level in the diff.  It looks like the diff was running too dry,
the pinion bearings got too hot and I got hosed.  I was going to take a
few pictures of the evidence, but the memory card for the camera was not in
the camera, it was still at the house in the slot on the printer.  Drat.

But such "organisation" shown by the memory card not being in the
camera is typical of my life.  If I would change my habits and go
through a checklist of things to do before a race, next time I would
make sure the rear axle fluid level was okay, and I wouldn't melt down
a pinion head bearing and my one and only large-bearing 4.1 Spitfire
gearset.  You know, somewhere in the shed I might have this 5.13 or
some such Herald ring and pinion ... that should get Killer to jump
off the line!  At least once, that is.

mjb.