fot

Re: 1500 midget crank vs. spitfire crank

To: "Aaron Johnson" <fpspitfire37@msn.com>, "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1500 midget crank vs. spitfire crank
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 19:23:13 +1200
Somethings wrong, although the Spitfire and Midget engines had different
part numbers for most/all of the individual items the engines were identical
specification so the crank weights should be identical (at least within a
certain tolerance). 1300 cranks are certainly lighter as the webs are much
smaller, and it isn't unusual (in the UK) to find a 1300 engine where a 1500
should be. There is a version of the 1500 crank which has the smaller webs
(and is therefore much lighter) made for the Israeli market, I only know of
two in the world - I've got one and John Thomason has the other (we were co
drivers on the London-Cape Town in 1998) - these 1500 cranks have the small
nose as Spitfire III so they are readily identifiable. I doubt there are any
in the US.
John Kipping