fot

Re: ballast

To: riverside@Cedar-Rapids.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ballast
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:01:28 EDT
In a message dated 06/03/2004 11:10:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
riverside@Cedar-Rapids.net writes:

> comment about using an iron head for
> right side  ballast reminded me of an autox
> experience last year.  The local SCCA
> set up an oval and ran it both directions.
> I like it when the course is so simple even
> I can't get lost. any whay, my old Alfa
> sedan felt like a formula ford when turning
> left and like a hog on ice the other way.
> I assume the .1 ton of driver side ballast
> caused this.  What kind of scale readings
> are people getting and what  are they
> doing to even things out?  I am mostly
> interested in TR3 and 4 data.  Thanks.

Art:

It is clearly an issue.  I recall running a VSCDA Hill Climb in Janesville in
the mid-1980s.  I had the second fastest time of day (to a very hot XKE)
driving with my wife in the passenger seat.  My times with just me in the car
were
not nearly as fast.  With Shirley in the car it was more stabile  We damn'd
near rolled over once, and Shirley won't ride in the race car with me any more,
but we came within an eye lash of the FTD on that run.

Turn TWO at MOSPORT is arguably one of the toughest turns in all of road
racing.  It is a LEFT hander, double apex, off camber, that goes on for ever.
In
the THUNDER BOLT last year, at 265 lb. +/- in a right hand drive car, I nearly
soiled my driver's suit every time through it.  I was sure I was going to
roll over.

I am sure Colin Chapman (and other BRIT racers) would balk, as they love to
cut weight anywhere they can, but oft times adding weight to a race car (in the
right spot) can fix a problem.

Bill