fot

flywheel bolts

To: FOT LIST <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: flywheel bolts
From: greg <gtlund@cyberspeedway.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:47:16 -0700
     I cant't speak for the fours but on a TR6 you had better be
meticulous about cleaning the threads and using fresh red loctite. As
Kas has said many times, the TR6 shakes the flywheel so bad that you
have to use a bolt which does not stretch under the considerable bending
moment that the flywheel puts on the small diameter bolt circle of the
TR6. We used 8, 1/2-20 bolts. Keeping the flywheel glued to the back of
a TR6 is a whole system - tight fit, good bolts with proper grip length,
hardened washers, no runout, ultralight rotating assembly, and careful
installation. Once you get the flywheel to stay on, the crank will break
between #6 and the rear main.
Greg Lund