fot

GT6 Rotoflex upright/stub axle/hub redesign.

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 Rotoflex upright/stub axle/hub redesign.
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:10:52 -0700
In my quest to achieve a bulletproof design to replace the stock GT6
rotoflex and outer half-shaft setup, I have designed a replacement that
employs a Porsche 930 CV joint and does away with the problematic outer
half-shaft and hub.

The design uses the outer GT6 rotoflex tapered bearing in both the inner
and outer areas (replacing the smaller inner bearing).  It also uses a
spacer between the bearings to provide for bearing load while separating
the bearings by an additional inch or so.  This will provide a lot less
strain on either bearing.

The real improvement is constructing the outer half shaft with the hub
permanently attached rather than bolted on.  The axle installs from the
outside and is secured with a nut on the inside before the CV-Joint cup
is attached with splines and retained with a clip.

In looking at producing these for other members needing such an upgrade,
I am, faced with a massive cost to fabricate 2 prototypes for testing.
What I would like to know is how many of you using the rotoflex uprights
would be interested in getting some production units once the project is
tested and proven?

The estimated price for these units would be about $600 per pair once in
production (based on a minimum of 10 sets).  The uprights would require
some machining on order to spread out the bearings properly, but that
should not be all that expensive.  The additional parts required would
be the aforementioned spacer, the bearings and seals and the CV
components.  The inner axles would also need to be built but I expect
Moser engineering can make them up in volume for around $300-400 per
pair.  They would be bullet proof as I have found out with others they
have made for me.

The CV components are readily available for about $300 for both sides.

Please let me know as soon as possible if you are interested in this
project so I can put together a cost analysis and justify going forward.

Regards,
Joe Curry