fot

Re: Small block Chevy question

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>, "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Small block Chevy question
From: "Timothy F. Murphy" <timmurph@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 06:47:46 -0500
Bill,
    After sleeping on it, that's about what I decided.  Pull the pistons, if
rings okay, clean up the tops and reuse.  Thought it might even be better with
old rings as they are "seated".  With all of the rain here, I must have mildew
on the brain!  Unless the rings or valve guides are busted, there's no way the
pieces are going to get into the sump.  So I'm probably good there.  It was the
exhaust, not intake (more mildew on the brain), which explains no clearance.
Lifter probably okay.  I have questions on the head.  I can't think of why the
seat should come out unless the head is cracked.  Those heads are somewhat known
for cracking.  That was why he went to the Vortec heads in the first place, to
replace a cracked original.  (He got a deal on the Vortec's.)  By the time the
head is crack checked and a new seat installed I think the price will be about
the same as a replacement.  I don't think I'd trust the old one anyway.  Once is
sort of fun but twice would be a real pain in the ass!  We'd really rather be
working on the race car.

Thanks for the input.
Tim