fot

RE: TR4 spark plugs

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>,
Subject: RE: TR4 spark plugs
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:32:21 -0700
Yup, you don't want to toss Iridium plugs in to do some chops. For that you
use BP7HS or BP7HC (half a heat range colder) and toss 'em after. Iridiums
are for when you think your engine is going to stay the same way for a long
time (and your piston isn't going to hit them). They last and last. Ordinary
plugs need a fairly big wire (about 2-3 mm) to conduct heat away, and the
edge of the center electrode rounds out as the combustion gasses torch away
at it. The wire size of an iridium plug is .6 mm. They melt at 4500 degrees.
If anything in your engine reaches that temp it will all be slag. So the
electrode stays sharp and that means the spark will jump easily, so you can
use a slightly bigger gap with everything else the same. No silver bullet,
no decrease in lap times. Just nice parts that work really well for a very
long time.