fot

RE: ARP Bolt Failure?

To: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@mccarty-law.com>, FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: ARP Bolt Failure?
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:20:55 -0700
It happens to the very best stuff. I used to work a nuclear plants. You
really don't get parts more carefully made than in nuke plants, even though
the stuff is by definition obsolete by the time it gets installed (the
qualification process is so long that virtually no new tech can be
installed). Bolts broke that had been made with certified processes and
radiographed prior to installation. I asked a mechanical engineer why, and
he said there is no method other than failure testing every part that can
predict how and when a part will fail, and if you failure test every part
all you have is broken stuff. Care in manufacture, under stressing, NDT, all
that stuff is just predictive of a statistical norm. You can still have a
bolt that passes everything that happened to have all the microscopic
impurities and flaws concentrated in just the right place to break.

In other words, even a good part can be bad.

Of course we also had the problem of counterfeit parts being sold to dumb
procurement people who know the price of everything and the value of
nothing, but that's another story...perhaps.