fot

Re: Flywheels

To: Malaboge@aol.comvintage-race@autox.team.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flywheels
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:01:17 -0500
Current production of Fidanza flywheels for TR's are quite nice. If this is
a flywheel for some other car, hit delete.

The Fidanza on my TR4 is about four seasons old, about 25 events. It is not
flat on the engine side. It does have a counterbore for the end of the
crank, and it is a shrink fit, meaning that you heat it up with a propane
torch for awhile and then put it on the flywheel (like I did this
afternoon!). I think that is one of the reasons that this product is
successful.

I had always been uneasy about aluminum flywheels after working on numerous
race cars where they either came adrift or the owner had over the years
drilled so many mounting holes in the end of the crankshaft that there was
hardly any metal left. Those owners also used grade 8 hardware from the
local True Value store. They don't work. I use ARP bolts and red Loctite
and that all works out great.

Although I have a lightweight steel flywheel on the shelf, I'm curious
about how long this aluminum one will last so I haven't changed it. It
shows no signs of coming loose or fretting on the mounting surface.