fot

Historics

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Historics
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:40:20 -0700
Just got back to Portland, drove straight through coming back as well as
going. 6:30 AM to 10:00 PM. Better than sleeping in a Motel 6.

Had a great time as usual. Finished 7th after a full on wheel to wheel
battle for the whole race with Phil Binks in his Dolphin. Phil pinched me in
the last turn, last lap when I got balked by a slower car being lapped--guy
was in the wrong gear coming out of the turn and just about stopped dead in
front of me. Phil beat me by about 2 feet.  A fundamental reversal of
Baxter's famous drive vs.. the RS-60, pooper, and RSK Porsches.

I was gridded 14th. Didn't get used to those slippery damned dunlops until
halfway through Sunday's race. Peyote worked wonderfully once I tightened up
the radius rods. First time out I lifted at the end of the straight and the
car did it's best to turn 90 degrees right. Yikes. Took half the day for my
hair to lay back down. Turned out the wheelbase of the right side of the car
was about a half inch longer than the left. Fixed that.

What a spectacle. Ferrari's everywhere, including Schumacher's 2003 car
driven by one of Ferrari's test drivers who tried to set a new lap record in
the car (didn't do it). the lap record is 1:07 something. My best time was
1:55 something. Had a fantastic time, like a kid on Christmas--so many
things to do and no way you can do them all.