fot

Limiting the Revs

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Limiting the Revs
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:14:22 EDT
The following is an unpaid endorsement: Concerned as you guys are about
exceeding the practical rev limits in my MGA, I installed one of the (then) new
Pertronix Rev Limiters about 18 months ago. Installation was easy -- wires hook
up to coil, ground, and electronic tach -- and the three dials on the side of
the little 1x2x3 inch box are set for four cylinders, and the rev limit in
thousands and hundreds (no little chip to insert). Limiter works by shorting
out
the coil in a random pattern so that when the rev limit is reached, one
cylinder at a time in a random pattern doesn't fire. No abrupt changes; just a
feeling that the engine has decided not to go any faster.
I've used it for about ten race weekends now with total satisfaction -- works
especially well on the first session of a weekend when I'm paying attention
to everything but the tach, and the last race, when I'm trying to chase down
the car immediately ahead of me.

Cheers
Gary Anderson.