fot

Boring sleeves

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Boring sleeves
From: "Richard Taylor" <tarch@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:27:50 -0400
Amichi,

Upon disassembling my motor (TR-4) to correct my discontinuity in the
crankshaft assembly, I discovered a leaking head gasket problem. It has
caused some rust corrosion in my number two cylinder wall lining; more than
can be easily rubbed out with steel wool.

What's the drill for boring sleeves? Pull the sleeves out and send them to a
machine shop or leave them in and send out the whole block. Or do can I buy
just new sleeves..or, am I now in the business of buying a matched set of
sleeves and pistons?

I'm most interested in reading the responses that say what I want to hear,
but all others are greatly appreciated.

Richard Taylor

Atlanta

Note: The head gasket failure is located exactly where Kas's book prescribes
his "staking the head" program. This begs a pretty good argument to go
through the staking exercise. Besides it looks kinda like fun.

The photo on page 48 of his book shows a crack in the head between two water
galleries. My head has this same condition. Is this an unhealthy condition
or simply symptomatic to TR-4 heads? One more question. Is it galleries or
galleys?