fot

caster

To: "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: caster
From: "riverside" <riverside@cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 11:01:28 -0700
3 degrees can help but i like about 4.5 - 6.
The reason is that lots of caster can generate
camber gain.  Todd, being an old  Alfa guy
probably is well aware of this as his 116 car
calls for 4.5 stock.  We have put the 4.5
into 105 alfas with outstanding results.
The 4.5 was arrived at by doing some 'speriments
with the old Excalibur Hawk race car.  Neat things started
happening at 4.5.  I am sure that not all cars respond
the same.  A car that keeps its inside front wheel
well planted will probably be hurt by this since the
inside wheel sees its camber go to hell with high caster.
Most production cars have hardly any weight on the inside
tire at anything above.8g.
Another beneficial side effect of the high caster is that there
is a build up of force  required at the steering wheel as
cornering loads increase.  Kinda helps you know when you are
going fast.

art d