fot

Walter Mitty

To: <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Walter Mitty
From: "Richard Taylor" <tarch@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 16:39:22 -0400
Group,

So far I have not heard a beef about HSR/SVRA that conflicts with my
experience at Road Atlanta. And I've raced there a lot; 17 vintage car and
12 motorcycle trophies up there a-dust-collecting on the shelf. In fact,
bitchin' about Road Atlanta is one of our favorite pastimes down here.

But I have to also say this. HSR/SVRA has changed their MO a great deal in
the last couple of years. That get-in-line-on-Wednesday-night thing was
corrected for last couple of races there. The blazingly fast MGs with their
killer motors and suspension have been relegated to their own Kamikaze
class. It still ain't perfect, but it never will be.  If we rank our own
group, I bet I get put into a class with faster cars than mine. It always
happens that way.

The Mitty entrance fee is still higher than most but the parties are also
better.

Aggressive driving? Road Atlanta attracts a big bunch of very fast historic
race cars. Those guys are pretty aggressive (and fun to watch).  I have
found no discernable difference in driver aggression in the MG - TR classes
whether Road Atlanta or elsewhere. In fact I was black flagged at my last
race there for aggressive driving. At the start of the race I passed a
couple of cars before passing the starting line. When I saw the green flag,
I thought GO! I made a mistake but they were gracious about my admonishment.

The management of the races is excellent. The score keeping very efficient.
The paddock area is very good (if His Excellency Richard Taylor can
pre-arrange a FoT area).

Also, as you all know, it never rains in Georgia in April !   It will be a
simply beautiful Southern spring event.

I would like to encourage more bitchin', too. If you guys give me a punch
list of everything you can think of that gives you heartburn at a race, I
promise to read every item. Not only that, I'll read every item very
carefully.

This coming week I'll start negotiating with my friends at HSR/SVRA for a
reserved paddock area. I'm thinking 20 double spaces plus 6 RVs. Whatcha
you'll think?

If we can pull that one off, we're well on our way to a great event. Sure
would be fun to pit next to the MG types.

Richard Taylor