fot

Reducing negative camber

To: "FOT" <FOT@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Reducing negative camber
From: "Don Marshall" <marshall@nefcom.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:55:57 -0400
All, after a very successful weekend at Roebling Road but having used up
the inside third of a brand new Hoosier (left front, naturally), I'm
about ready to get serious about reducing the negative camber on my TR4A
to see if it'll handle just as well or better and maybe get better tire
wear.

Normally I would remove some shims and be done with it, but this one
gets most or all of its ~2.5 degrees negative camber as a result of the
springs having been cut shorter rather than shimming, so there are none
to remove.   It also appears that the upper A arm fulcrum pin may have
been reversed but I'm not sure about that yet.

It appears my choices are:

1)       Replace the springs with longer springs to increase the ride
height and reduce camber and who knows what else.

2)       Put spacers under the springs to effectively lengthen the
spring and pull out some camber without changing the springs or spring
rate.  Anyone have an idea of what thickness spacer I'd need to
eliminate a degree of camber and what other effects this might have?

3)       Have Uncle Jack add a section to the upper A arms to push the
tops out (opposite of the normal adjustment he does).

4)       Turn the fulcrum pin back around if it's actually reversed.

Any other ideas would be welcome, preferably something that's easily
reversed if it doesn't help?  The cars handles great and if excessive
tire wear is something I have to live with I'll do it but it seems to
make sense from all the previous discussions to try this.  BTW, toe is
zero and I'm running 20 pounds air pressure in Hoosier Vintage TDs.

Aside to Henry. it wouldn't be the same without you.  See ya at Road
Atlanta.

Thanks, Don