fot

RE: Anyone Know Status of New Cal Emission Law on Older Cars?

To: <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Anyone Know Status of New Cal Emission Law on Older Cars?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:56:39 -0700
> Understand the Cal legislature has passed a bill to remove smog test
> exemption for older cars, does any one know whether Arnold signed
> the bill

Yes, the bill was signed into law last week (I think it was).

However, at least as I read it, it's not as draconian as some people are
claiming.  Basically, it stops the smog exemption date from rolling forward
each year, 1976 cars will continue to have to be smog inspected even after
2006.  It's not clear to me if 1975 cars will continue to have to be
inspected or not.

The new law also seems to prescribe a very minimal inspection (visual
inspection of the fuel cap and no fuel leaks) for cars 35 model years old
and older, that are registered as 'classic' cars.  As I read the law, all
you have to do to sidestep this requirement is to license and insure the car
as an ordinary car, rather than a collector car.

Randall