fot

Re: events

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: events
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@bright.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 08:24:00 -0400
Jack is correct about tracks needing to earn revenue.  As an example,
Sebring is busy all week, often including the week-end with track
rentals, driver's schools, etc.  A few years ago we returned to the
track to finish the paperwork from the 12 hour.  This was on Monday and
several  Indy cars wer already on course testing for a street race in
Miami.

As a vendor, we need the spectators. As the vintage events evolved,
fewer people, crews, wives, friends, etc., would come so the competitors
have started to use prep shops.  A friend has a prep shop and he had 18
cars at Watkins Gken.  Great for him, but those 18 cars a few years ago
would have accounted for 50 - 60 people with some spare time.  Now it
was 18 driver's only.  As Jack and many others have observed, attendance
is down.  Too many events is one issue.  If we were using the cars in a
points chase scenario, SCCA Run-off's or a pro series, then you have to
go.  This is a hobby so driver's can pick and choose.  The major east
coast player in sanctioning is the SVRA/HSR group.  A for profit
operation who needs the "big cars/teams" who can pay the dollars needed.
 This group has really chased away a lot of the small cars.  At Mid-Ohio
this year, we had seveal spectators comment about "there seem to be
fewer cars".  This was not solicted, they brought it up.  Asking SVRA
officials about the count, they said the entries were "X" many.  What
they didn't say is if Jack enters the event, that's 1 entry.  If Tony
codrives an enduro, that's another entry.  If Joe A takes the car out
for track touring, that's another entry.  This has led to our cars going
to VSCDA or the other "we want you guys with the small"cars groups.

The Mitty is a great example.  It used to be Sprites, Mini's,
Spitfiires, etc would be all over the place.  Last year I don't believe
there were over 30 of these cars - but a lot of Porsches.   .Events like
 the MG/TR challenge may turn this around but this is not an ever year
feature.   Let's all support the event.  It would be nice to see
spectators back at Road Atlanta.  This hasn't happened since the days of
IMSA (the real one, not the present one).

The other topic of recent discussion was "tracks to drive".  Here is my
list of east coast (no west coast experience):
Daytona - boring infield but really neat on the banking.
Sebring -  rough, tough and incredible
Pocono and Charlotte - see Daytona comments
Road Atlanta - not a smuch fun since they neutered the track but it
still makes you a believer
Road America - why God invented race cars
Grattan - a real "driver's" track
Blackhawk -  what teh sport started out to be.
Waterford (MI) - a great little track that keeps you very busy
Lime Rock - real history
Watkins Glen - see Lime Rock comment
Mid-Ohio -  very technical and home to many of the great series from the
past

Ted

--
Ted Schumacher