fot

Re: Phantom Grip - does it work?

To: Claus Ebberfeld TriumphRacing <claus@triumphracing.net>,
Subject: Re: Phantom Grip - does it work?
From: tom strange <tstrange@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:23:46 -0700 (PDT)
Claus,
  A couple of years ago, Joe told me it did not work for him... he was running
a lot more horspower than myself, so I decided to try it in my spit.... I did
use the higher tension "competition springs" when I put it in.
  I havent noticed anything really bad, from the friction/wear factor, but not
a lot of increase in performance either.  It will help, just not a lot.  For
the price of a limited slip, its up to you, but I probably would not repeat the
experience.
  Bottom line is, I am not impressed.  I think it has improved my corner
response, but even with limited horsepower, I am still spinning the inside
wheel when I get it up a little bit.
  The welded rear, as you say, is probably out on the street, but I dont think
the phantom grip will do what you want.  Personally, I'd save up for the real
thing.
  I would also start saving up for a good set of axles also.  Several of us
have upgraded, and are glad we have.  Too good a chance of losing a wheel even
in a spit.  There are a couple of upgrades out there that work well.  The one
in my car is the one Ed Barnard pushed through production, & I'm quite happy
with that.

  Hope this helps.

Claus Ebberfeld TriumphRacing <claus@triumphracing.net> wrote:
Hmm - for some reason I couldn't see the text in this mail, so I'll try again:

Hello FOT's.

I am racing a Spitfire 4 in the Danish Championship for historic racecars and
in the Danish hillclimb championship. It's not a full racecar - in fact
it is only mildly tuned, as it develops less than 80 hp even with the factory
"Stage 2"-tuning set - most importantly this consists of a rare 8-port
(iron) head and double Webers. The car has been ultrareliable though, and thats
why I ended up 3rd overall in the championship and as
winner of my division in 2004 - my first full season. And great fun it was too!

Anyway, until now I have raced the car with an 4,55 open differential, but this
is now due for a rebuild. As the car even with its lowly power
suffers from wheelspin from the inner wheel out of corners I am considering to
strech my budget to a limited slip diff. However I have been
quoted up till 1400# (approx. 2500$) for a Salisbury-type LSD, and that is
frankly more than I am prepared to put into my weekend-racer.

I then stumbled across the Phantom Grip (www.phantomgrip.com) limited slip,
which sells for 300$ in the US and about 180# in the UK. I've
searched the internet for reviews, and found them very mixed. Some praise the
Phantom Grip no end, particularly the price compared to "real"
gear LSD's, other acknowlegde the low price but reckons the gains are lower -
some even lower than the price. And finally there seems to be
some questions regarding wear from the sliding steelplates and the resultant
steel debris contaminating the diff.

My question is: Does anyone here have firsthand experience with the Phantom
Grip? And of course - does it work?

Best regards

Claus Ebberfeld
web: www.triumphracing.net