fot

Re: Aluminum Calipers

To: jaboruch <jaboruch@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Aluminum Calipers
From: greg <gtlund@cyberspeedway.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:07:52 -0700
Joe,

The '90-'96 300 ZX has great Sumitomo all aluminum calipers with 4 big
pistons. The big pistons are necessary with the bad pedal ratio on the
TR cars. If you use a Porsche caliper (except the front engine ones) the
pistons are all too small for TRs since they don't have much weight over
the fronts. The Vettes, Camaros, and Mustangs mostly use the PBR type
with a steel frame and aluminum clamp. The second generation RX7
(GSL? I believe) has a nice 4 piston all aluminum finned caliper that is
plentiful and cheap in the UPullit junk yards. The pistons are kinda
small but you can get more force with a smaller master cyl and/or
changing the pedal ratio.

Caliper piston diameters of some stock calipers.

Fronts
TR6               1.958" x 2
Mazda 2nd gen RX7 1.420" x 4
300ZX 90-96       1.590" x 4

Rears - both of these have mechanical emergency brakes that clamp the
  rotor.

240SX '89-94      1.330" x 1
'94 up Camaro     1.595" x 2 - not all have the e brake.

Greg Lund