fot

Collections and such

To: fot@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Collections and such
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@Autox.Team.Net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:46:07 -0700
For some time, when folks would ask me "How many cars do you have?" I
would reply with the "Define car" response, or simply say "Less than
a dozen."  Usually that was true.  At the moment I think 9 is a pretty
good guess, with 2 of those "cars" scheduled to get rendered down to
salvagble parts and dumpster filler.

For a time there it seemed like I was on a mission to singlehandedly
salvage each and every unloved Triumph still gracing the planet.  A few
of you may recall my comment at a VTR convention a decade or so back,
where I proclaimed something like "I don't think I can make much money
just *buying* Triumphs."

I'm over that phase now, sort of, as my efforts to save all the cars
takes the form of the energy I put into the various Team.Net resources,
as well as some work with local clubs.  So with the mailing lists, the
web pages, parts sales and such I do have a part, a very small part, in
the restoration, maintainence and enjoyment of many cars around the
globe.

But I do still have tons of stuff.  I'm probably sitting on, oh, $5,000
to $50,000 worth of cars and used, NOS and new parts in inventory.  Perhaps
I should phrase that as "I've got over 5,000 parts that might be worth
a dollar or two or ten."  Sometimes I do wonder just how much stuff I have
on hand at the shop, or the shed, or the one storage unit, or the other, or
in the basement or the garage at home.  I wonder if I could sell *everything*
to some rosy-eyed optimist someday.  But then what would I do ;-)

I am trying to get into the habit of offering parts on Ebay on a regular
basis [1], I need to quit wasting all the monthly storage fees I shell
out.  Having a nice big barn on my own property would certainly be a
nice option, but that ain't gonna happen soon.  Maybe when I retire,
right, that's the ticket.  A goal I keep in the back of my mind is to
have all my tools, cars, parts and such in one place.  Easy to do if one
has no tools, cars, parts and such.

What fun would that be?

mjb.
----