fot

RE: Wheel Studs (was Triumph Related, Second Science Project)

To: <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Wheel Studs (was Triumph Related, Second Science Project)
From: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@mccarty-law.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:48:05 -0600
<<...just drop a tack weld on the back to prevent the stud from turning...>>

I've actually been wondering about this.  I'm using the Summers
Bros. rear axles on my Spitfire, with (either Moroso or ARP) studs.
I've been having trouble with the studs spinning in rear hubs -- on
inspection, it appears that the edge of the stud hole in the hub
actually shaves the knurling down on the stud.  And then the stud
won't grab.

So I've thought about putting a tack weld on the stud at the back of
the hub, but was concerned about the potential of the heat creating
zones of differing temper in the hub's material, possibly leading to
cracks and the badness we sought to avoid by using these axles in the
first place.

Scott B.