fot

Value of TR2 - TS 333

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@Autox.Team.Net>, rkramer3@austin.rr.com
Subject: Value of TR2 - TS 333
From: Don Elliott <58tr3a@videotron.ca>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:55:28 -0500
Bob - TS 333 is a low serial number and could get a good price just because of
that.  If the car has an overdrive he could get another $1500 US dollars.  The
following might help him decide to keep it and do it - or sell it as a "future
restoration" - or get it done by someone so that he can enjoy driving it.

When I did my total body-off restoration from 1987 to 1990, I bought $13,000
work of parts, floors, inner sills, outer sills, quarter panels, water pump,
you name it and I spent 1100 hours of my own time plus my neighbor "gave' me
another 300 free hours.  The frame was like new.  The tub was a basket case
and after buying a MIG welder it was like new before it went for painting.
First the frame and suspension all black.  Then he painted the tub inside and
underneath in final black.  Then the painter put on the body panels loosely
and finished the exterior in the final black.  The cost was $5000 cash for the
sandblasting, the paint and the other materials plus the painter's time at
$23.00 per hour.  This was in 1989 and I live in Canada where the US dollar
was at about 0.75 cents to the Canadian dollar.  I got an evaluation of
$30,000 CDN dollars in 1990 and it's still insured for that with over 82,000
miles driven in 15 summers.  I store it every winter.  But if I'm out and it
rains, I don't mind.  It'll dry up again.  Like on my 7220 mile trip from
Montreal to VTR 2000 in Portland Oregon.  Or 5220 miles to VRT 2001 in
Breckenridge Colo in 2001.  And I always take 2nd place in the National VTR or
TRA judged concours with that mileage since the restoration.

Why did I spend so much money to restore it ?  Because I bought this same car
brand new in May 1958 from one of the 4 of the S-T dealers here in Montreal
(paid cash) and I still have it.  Is that enough of a reason ?  I proposed to
Louise in this car in February 1965 with 10 foot snowbanks along her street.
We've been together since.  I drove her to the hospital for the birth of our
son 36 years ago.  Owning and driving "TRusty" is one of my passions, and as
MasterCard says "PRICELESS".  This is something for your friend to consider.

I'll send you attachments of the photos of my restoration separately.  The
paint sequence is clearly shown.

I have had another TR3A here for the last 5 years for a full restoration for a
friend from Toronto.  I send him a bill every month.  He pays the bills - so
that's why I say he's still "my friend".  I only work on it during the 5
winter months because I love to drive my own TR in the summer.  I hesitate to
add up the hours etc at $25.00 (Canadian dollars) that I'm charging him.  He
had two other quotes of $60.00/hour (CDN) from British repair, maintenance and
re-build shops in the Toronto area.  His frame was rotten and for $200.00 US,
Joe Alexander sold me a nice one he had from Utah and Joe trailered it up to
Vermont for me after Limerock a few years ago.

After I got back from the Triumph races at ViR this June, I was getting tired
and weaker.  In October I was diagnosed with bone marrow cancer.  I am anemic
- low energy, out of breath and other things too.  So I have "hired" 4 retired
guys who come and do the work that needs to be done to finish it.  All are
mechanical types and one is another TR3A owner.  The chemistry is good in the
club.  At this rate, it'll be done by the spring.  My garage is like a
club-house that magnetically draws these guys here to get the job done.  Not
only for me, but the owner will get his "Concours" TR3A back much sooner so he
can enjoy his summers of driving.  As for the cancer, it's looking up !  My
doctor thinks that the 3rd chemo session that I'm on now may be the last and
he wants to go for a bone marrow transplant ASAP to eliminate it.

BTW, I'm making some good progress on the TR/MG Race video from the VARAC
Mosport 2003 weekend where I have everyone picking up pieces from your block
once you got back into the paddock.

Don Elliott, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada