fot

RE: large runner 1500 (single ZS) manifold needed (longish)

To: fot@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: large runner 1500 (single ZS) manifold needed (longish)
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:47:29 -0800
They do instrument the intake tracts, Ferrari had a really neat article on
their F1 computer stuff on the Ferrari Owners site. They have instrumented
the dickens out of these engines. Thing is that at F1 RPMs and BMEP there's
all kinds of weird stuff going on in the motors. For example, controlled
burn flame travel is too slow, so they operate in kind of a grey area
detonation mode. If they rev much higher it will need to be full on
detonation, like the little RC116 Honda 50 of 1966--which redlined at 22,500
and produced 16HP. I don't think any unsupercharged motorsport engine has
ever equaled the horsepower per liter (320) or RPM. I heard the 116s run
about 40 years ago and I still remember the sound. Didn't sound like a motor
at all, it sounded like some huge piece of canvas being ripped.

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins