fot

RE: front hub upgrade

To: "'Charly Mitchel'" <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>, <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: front hub upgrade
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:43:48 -0800
Charly Mitchel wrote: A about year ago someone had posted about how they had
strengthened the front hubs by bolting through the rotor into the hub.  I
think it was taped and a long bolt threaded through the 2.  Has anyone done
this and can you tell me of any tricks?

Charly,

I have done this and you need to do the following:

1. Drill out the threaded holes in the hub (for the rotor) to 25/64.
Continue drilling through the hub wheel mounting flange.  Obviously, you
will need to mount the hub and use a drill press so that the drilling is
straight and perpendicular to the flange.

2. Counterbore the holes to 7/16" about 3/16" deep on the rotor mounting
flange.

3. Using a 7/16-20 tap, thread the holes (from the rotor side of the hub).
Continue threading through the wheel mounting flange so there are two
aligned threaded holes.  This is important - do not thread the two flanges
independently.

4. Drill out the 4 mounting holes in the rotor to 7/16"

5. The only source for bolts with the correct unthreaded to threaded length
that I found was Bolt Depot (www.boltdepot.com).  Order part number 760 -
Hex Bolts, Grade 8, Steel, 7/16-20, 1-3/4 long.  Quantity 8.

6. I also drilled the heads of the bolt to accept safety wire and safety
wired them to prevent loosening.  As a result, I used hardened grade 8 flat
washers instead of lock washers.  I suppose either approach will work, but I
am an ex-motorcycle racer and we just love to safety wire stuff.

There are some pictures of the conversion at:

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6