fot

Re: Email, big cats, life, the universe, ...

To: fot@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Email, big cats, life, the universe, ...
From: Susan Kahler <spitfiresuz@141.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:00:11 -0600
We didn't have cougars in the Dallas area when I was there (that I know
of), but we did have a couple fine bobcats that I saw with my own eyes.
One lived in the area at the entry of my street (outflow to the lake
provided plenty water and game) and I am guessing it was about 20 lbs.
I came across the other one on an early morning hike at the Dallas
Nature Center -- I was moving briskly along the upper trail and came to
a fork.  The upper trail dropped pretty steeply at that point, and
curved around to the right.  Just in the curve, so I was looking down on
him from about 35 feet away, was a huge gorgeous bobcat that must have
been 30-35 pounds!  He looked at me, I looked at him, and I decided I
would much rather take the lower trail that forked off from where I was
standing instead of continuing on the upper trail.  He faded off into
the brush in the opposite direction.

We also have a bobcat in the woods around us here in Arkansas.  We saw
it cross the road in front of us one night as we were coming home, and
Brad's parents saw it walk across our property one afternoon.  This
despite the deer camp down the road and lots of loose dogs.  It was
pretty small, maybe 20 lbs.

Have a great day!
Susan      :)