fot

Carbs for Vintage Racing TR250

To: FOT <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Carbs for Vintage Racing TR250
From: Chuck Arnold <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:50:48 -0800
I have been communicating with Joe Alexander regarding induction for my
some-time to be TR250  vintage race car.  I asked what would be
preferred -- 2 SUs or 2  Strombergs.
Here is his reply [maybe from a digest mode]
"So the order of choice is 1 - late SU's, 2 - early SU's, 3 - Stroms

Now the reason that nobody with a vintage TR6 uses any of the above is
that the stock intake manifold absolutely kills intake flow. It is just
awful. That's the reason everybody running TR6's use Webers. TR6 intake
ports are very restrictive, and putting the stock manifold on it kills it.

If  Webers not a choice, I'd get the Richard Good three carb manifold
without the Stroms he sells and put SU's on in their place. A few
purists might wince, but nobody in a club like VSCDA would care. Just an
opinion, but I think a TR6 with two carbs on a stock manifold would be
beaten by every TR4 on the track. But if the owner can't afford Webers,
go with it".

Unfortunately, SOVERN, the vintage group whom I will be racing under
requires the car to be setup to the 1969 SCCA regulations.  According to
their site, this means 1.75  Strombergs or SUs [no mention of PI, though
Kas  has related to me that that was the only  way the factory raced
them].

So, to the collected group:
What carbs give me the most gas?  Is there anything [visibly legal] that
can be done to improve the intake manifold's flow?

Thanks,
Chuck