fot

The last of the cam stuff

To: "'Alan Taylor'" <atenglish@mindspring.com>,
Subject: The last of the cam stuff
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:03:26 -0800
I don't know if any of you really care about this stuff, but here's an excel
spreadsheet and phase graph I did of this cam. It's definitely symmetric.
I'm also attaching some pics of my degree wheel and piston stop. I already
had the timing cover on in this picture because I'm making and testing tools
that I can use at the track (when all this theory goes south fast). I'll
forward to the list as well, though the attachments will get scraped. If
anyone else wants to see this stuff just drop me an email.

The piston stop works great! It's a seatbelt fitting with a allen in the
slot. I ground the allen so it gives me a positive stop at 30 BTDC, so I
have a good ballpark of where to set the wheel. I made the degree wheel so I
can tighten it right down onto the shaft and still index the wheel. If I had
been smart I would have drilled the holes every 10 degrees and carefully
indexed them for both sides. When I realized what I should have done I had
no choice but to make a second row that indexes to the first set. Dumb.

Yes, that's Kas' first book sitting there as a handy reference. They're like
reading glasses--I have three copies and could use a couple more. I use them
all the time--and so I can never find them. At least I don't find them an
hour later on top of my head.

The project pictures are the answer to the guy who told me a few days ago:
You won't ever really retire--CEOs of companies never really get away--they
have no life outside of work. I have enough projects just on hand That if I
retire and do nothing else they'll last me to 130. Lot more fun than doing
marketing.