fot

Radiator and block pressure

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Radiator and block pressure
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 06:13:32 -0500
At 05:02 AM 03/01/2005 +0000, Joe Boruch wrote:
>Chuck, Have you considered that it could be a head gasket leak or a
>cracked head?  While a 6 # cap is low, I use a 7# cap in my TR3.  It only
>overflowed when I had a cracked head.  Joe(B)

I was thinking along these lines as well. I'd test the coolant for signs of
combustion.

I have a block coolant pressure gauge on my TR4. I'm tapped into the stock
block drain at the rear of the block. I routinely see over 30 pounds
running at full song, thanks to modifying the water passages in the head
and one of Ken Gillanders high volume water pumps. My 16# radiator cap
holds the pressure just fine.

By the way, as further evidence that running high block pressure in a wet
liner TR engine is a good thing, when I pulled my head for the annual tear
down the #4 piston looks exactly like the rest, not a hint of evidence that
it was running any hotter. I have to snap a few pictures before I scrape
them clean.