fot

RE: &#!?+* help needed

To: "'Rocky Entriken'" <rocky@tri.net>, Randall <ryoung@navcomtech.com>,
Subject: RE: &#!?+* help needed
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 19:06:39 -0800
Count your blessings folks, my email address is exposed to the web--one of
the costs of doing business. Today I got 91 spam messages. That was a light
day. Fortunately I get everything through my company, which has industrial
strength everything--we have to, we host stuff for companies like Microsoft
and Symantec. Still, there's a lot of nasty stuff out there. The phishing
stuff seems to be waning a bit, but now we're getting some really nasty spam
that takes advantage of Microsoft's old JavaScript vulnerabilities. If
you're not up to date on patches, and you open one of these puppies--not the
attachment, just the email--and you allow activex or JavaScript to run, then
you're hosed.

I'm not sure what these Trojan horses are doing, but I know I don't want it
done. Today you need a spam filter, anti-spyware, anti virus, and a decent
firewall, and you need to be up to date on security patches, especially if
you have your own server. Or you need to be on Unix or a Mac.

There's no perfect way, our buddies at Microsoft have released a lot of
really vulnerable software, and they only started to take security seriously
a couple of years ago. Hard to believe that we all rely on this stuff. I'm
actually a Microsoft fan (one of three on the planet I think), but sometimes
they really piss me off.