fot

Re: Changing camshafts

To: henry@henryfrye.com
Subject: Re: Changing camshafts
From: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:38:16 GMT
When I changed the cam there was a problem with the distributor drive gear, so
it was not a lifter lobe that got trashed.  I did change the lifters, though.
Once the cam was out, the lifters were passed down thru the sump, since the pan
was off.  Attached new ones to the magnets and up they went into the lifter
bores to wait for the cam to be installed.  Since it takes me hours and hours
to prepare a head gasket, I won't pull the head unless it is absolutely
necessary.  Joe(B)

-- Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com> wrote:
At 11:49 AM 03/06/2005 -0800, kas kastner wrote:
>  For those that might some day want to change a cam or some other camshaft
>duty in the pits without taking off the head, make preparation before hand as
>follows:

As neat as this sounds, I can't ever imagine wanting to change out a
camshaft in the paddock. If something happened to the cam or a tappet that
wiped out a lobe, the remnants of the calamity are in the engine. I have
way too much invested in engine parts to come to any conclusion other than
push it into the trailer and open a cold one. It's spectator time. Those
big purses we are racing for are not worth trashing expensive bits, IMHO.   ;-)

Not to mention that I always thought it is frowned upon to reuse tappets on
different cams.

Now changing out a cam for some back to back pulls on an engine dyno, that
sounds like a worthy cause. But before I put that engine in a race car I
would probably want to refresh the tappets.

Getting impatient waiting for Spring in New England.........

Speed up your surfing with NetZero HiSpeed.
Now includes pop-up blocker!
Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.netzero.com/surf to sign up today!